Spitfire: DID IT! Spare wheel cover

To: Spitfires Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, Spitfire-Enthusiast Mail List <spitfire-enthusiast@makelist.com>, Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire: DID IT! Spare wheel cover
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 21:35:46 -0500
Hi Lists,

Well, I did it...I made the new spare wheel cover and it looks
fantastic! (If I say so, myself)...I know it's just a spare wheel cover
and no one rarely sees it, but *I* know it's there.

I had to use a little creative enginuity, though. For the metal bracket,
which I couldn't find anywhere - nothing even close, I ended up
recycling a piece of an old seat rail! The rails were too rusty, but I
kept them anyway (lesson learned...how I ended up needing the damn thing
anyway)...

Anyway, felt kind of good using some Spit part to create another. Makes
you feel like you've kept the car original. :)

Thanks go out to: Brian Kahler, Robb Tones, Brian Serra and Eric Yates.

The new cover looks really good.

Another accomplishment today that turned out really well: I recovered
the leather on my shift knob. The old leather was torn and falling off.
I took the thing apart, scrounged for some thin leather, fashioned a
pattern, cut the new leather and had the shoe repair shop up the street
sew it up for $2. I recovered the wood with the new, tight fitting
leather and it looks new!

Vic
--
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 <*> http://www.enteract.com/~vmichael/

 "There will come a time when you think everything is finished.
                   That will be the beginning."

                         (Louis L'Amour)