Re: TR6: Aftermarket PI vs honkin V8s

To: tigerpb@ids.net, passaretti@sol.med.ge.com
Subject: Re: TR6: Aftermarket PI vs honkin V8s
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 22:19:41 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
"Mr. Mike" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com> writes:

    Paul> If I had $1400- $2000 to blow on a TR6 motor, it would have 2
    Paul> more cylinders! I think Dan Masters already did the math on
    Paul> this one. Wow- I could've havd a V-8!

> Yeah, but would it have EFI and be a bolt-in?
> I don't think so.  There are other parts of this
> equation...

Mr. Mike,

Yes, EFI is readily available for the V8, of-the-shelf, designed for retro-
fit. Good junk-yard engines are available with complete EFI units for around
$1200. A good 5-speed transmission will set you back another $600. A good
shopper can get both for under $1500, leaving $500 for everything else (not
taking into account what you can get for your old engine/transmission). No, a
V8 is not a bolt-in. Not a major task, but not a bolt-in. If the swap is the
only modification you are making, it could take from 2 weeks to 2 years,
depending on your experience and work habits.

The V8 will, however, suck the doors clean off a TR6 with a PI 6 cylinder
engine. And handle better to boot (less weight).

None of which, of course, is of any significance whatsoever. The primary
component to the equation is personal preference. The second most important
part of the equation is the "gee-whiz" factor. "Bolt-in" capability factors in
there somewhere. Being able to get the car back on the road with minimal
downtime may be important to some.

I saw a TR6 with an after market EFI in Hudson last month, and it had gobs of
the gee-whiz factor.

The TR6 with the supercharger in a recent issue of 6-Pack had an enormous dose
of gee-whiz.

The TR6 at last year's 6-Pack trials with the turbo 4 banger from a
Thunderbird also had an enormous dose of gee-whiz.

A stock TR6 ain't bad either.

You're only young twice; I plan to do my second childhood the way I would have
liked to have done the first. That precludes EFI and 6 cylinders for me.
Personal preference.

Cheers,

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN