Re: Laycock D Type Overdrive

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Laycock D Type Overdrive
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 22:15:38 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Joe Curry wrote:

> I have an opportunity to do some horse trading for an overdrive for my
> Spit.  The only thing is the solenoid is Inoperative.  VB lists that
> item at $150.00.  Does anybody know where I can get a good used one at a
> much better price?  Better still, is there anybody who rebuilds those
> things?  Dan Masters, are you listening?

I think you should find a used one, then see if you can rebuilt the old
one.  (Disclaimer:  I've never successfuly repaired a Triumph solenoid per
se, but I did manage to get an Olivetti typewriter going by re-wrapping
the solenoid)

First thing to check is for broken wires outside the solenoid coil.  If
it's something easy like that, you're done fixin'.  Also check to see if
the coils have continuity.  If the coil wires are burned out (broken)...

Next thing to check is whether or not it is easy to strip down the
solenoid to re-coil it.  You will need a roll of the appropriate wire
(same diameter, resistance), and a spare weekend.  Or more.  The key is to
have the same number of turns of wire (...same length) around the spindle
of the solenoid.  If you use a different type of coil wire then a
different length (turns) of wire will be required.

All that said, the solenoids are probably built to minimal specs... ie: if
the thing works, install it.  Hence the reasoning to get a used one and
fool about with a spare :-)

After the solenoid has been re-coiled, you'll have to varnish the wire and
re-assemble.  I'm not sure if any of this is humanly possible, but there
was a fellow featured in Practical Classics who re-wrapped all the motors,
switches, solenoids in his Rolls, due to financial constraints.  Just
imagine how mufch a Rolls Royce power window motor costs... and how much a
roll of copper wire costs.  If you factor in your time, it's still a big
savings.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm