tr4 speedo

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tr4 speedo
From: Don Spence <spence@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 08:36:22 -0600
Ken Neulle wrote

I could be wrong on this but I do know the addition of OD doesn't impact

the
speedo.

Regards
Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4
all with OD and standard, pretty dog gone accurate, speedo's

Sorry your wrong here
And you're right too
Actually there were 8 speedos fitted to the 4 and 4A
Four if you discount the kilometer ones. In a previous posting I
detailed part no's etc
 OD fitment merely effects the rpm of the out put shaft vs engine speed.

Rear end ratio and tyre fitment both affected speedo calibration
However it was standard practice to fit the 4.1-1 diff to OD cars giving

a "close ratio 6 speed "  of sorts.
One problem we all face is that at the age these cars are, and given the

propensity of owner's (current and previous) to monkey with them and
change specifications, the liklihood of an OD trans in a car fitted with

a 3.7 diff is high.

What you could provide (as an owner of a TR4 with OD) is the id no's
found on the face of the speedo. Assuming that your car is as from
factory and the speedo has never been replaced or swapped, that could
offer a point of comparison to the original question.
Cheers
Don