First TR

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: First TR
From: Bwfox@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 08:32:12 EDT
Fellow Listers:
When did I get involved with TRiumphs?  May of 1965.  I was in the Air Force
stationed at Pease AFB, NH, when I acquired a new room-mate.  Frank had a
356 Porsche, I was driving a 60 Plymouth Valiant (with 3-on-the-floor).
"Let me show you how a car can handle, he said".  So we go for a ride in the
356 and a new world opens.  The next day, the hunt for a sports car to
replace the Valiant commences.  And ends, at of all places, the local Ford
dealer.  There sitting forlornly between large 60s era Ford products was a
64 TR4, BRG with white top and tonneau and black interior. The sales manager
and I soon reach an accord, and the USAF Federal Credit Union and I owned a
TR.
It was heaven.  Being a single guy with no living explenses (except that
$42.00 per month car payment) and driving a sports car up and down the
seacoast of New Hampshire was pure bliss.  We also made three round trips
from NH to Aberdeen, MD and one from NH to Wash.DC.  Of course the TR was
only one year old then and I was young and foolish and did not know any
better.
Upon my being transferred to Goose Bay, Labrador, the TR had to be sold.
If anyone on the list bought a TR of similar description from my dad while
I was in Goose Bay (car was sold in Aberdeen, MD in Spring of 67), I sure
would like to know about it.
That was the first TR, there have been five others since, all either TR4
or 4As.  The present 4A was purchased in 86 and most likely will be my
major source of joy/exasperation for some time to come.

Cheers,
Barry W. Fox    65 TR4A  CT51681L
W1HFN