RE: TR6 rear camber adjustment - long

To: "'Lanoway, Brian'" <Brian_Lanoway@standardaero.ca>
Subject: RE: TR6 rear camber adjustment - long
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:45:01 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Brian Lanoway wrote:

> It's now taken me 2 years, but I finally think that I've got the
camber
> on both my rear wheels right and I thought the list might benefit from
> some of the 'science' I've applied to the task.   There's been some
> traffic on the list last spring about this subject, but I haven't seen
> comprehensive approach to this yet.  I hope this helps.

[Followed by a wealth of information about trailing arm brackets and
rear end alignment]

Let me be (one of) the first to thank you for a thorough job and a MOST
valuable contribution to the Triumph list. Anyone who ever plans to
change springs, change camber or otherwise tinker with Triumph trailing
arm suspensions should save your note for future reference.

I only wish you'd posted it a month ago - before I spent two days on my
back on the garage floor, eyeballing and measuring the frame, trailing
arms, brackets &etc to try and figure out why my car had zero camber on
the LR wheel and a good 5 degrees negative on the right even though both
sides "looked" the same (at first glance).

It takes some digging to determine that there are three (not 2, as some
catalogs imply) kinds of brackets, and it is not intuitively obvious
that the brackets can be mounted upside down if necessary. And only
actual measurement can establish what you've shown - that changing any
one bracket WILL result in a camber and/or ride height change.

I'd add only two brief comments: 1) The brackets can easily (and for
hard use should) be strengthened by welding a support across the top of
the bracket. 2) After making a change in the brackets, drive the car
enough to allow the suspension to settle before measuring the effect of
the change.

Jim Hill
Madison WI
Amici Triumphi