Re: Cars and Bikes

To: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Cars and Bikes
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:56:52 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "Ronald A. Dowty" <rdowty@wans.net>, TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Dave Massey wrote:

> Ronald A. Dowty writes:
>
> >Is the Triumph motorcycle company that currently produces motorcycles and
> >realtion or even the same as the company that made my good old TR 6's?
>
> Ronald,
>
> Before WW11 Triumph were a well respected manufacturer of motorcars
> and motorcycles...

...AND bicycles!

> I don't know if there is any link between the Triumph motorcycle folk
> and the Triumph bicycle folk.  Perhaps someone else on the list can
> fill in this gap in the story.
>
> Awaiting any additions and corrections to my take on Triumph history.

Dave, Ronald, et.al.:

In short, Siegfried Bettmann first manufactured bicycles in Coventry,
then motorcycles, then (beginning in 1923) automobiles.

The bicycle division was sold off in the early 1930s, ultimately to
become part of the Raleigh "empire." The motorcycle division was sold in
the mid-1930s, and, as you pointed out, little more than the automobile
name was ultimately purchased by Standard's "Captain" John Black at the
end of WWII.

I don't know exactly who currently owns the Triumph motorcycle name, but
I don't think it is still part of the same group (BSA, etc.) that built
the Bonnevilles, Tigers and TR6 bikes of the not-too-recent past.

--Andy