TR3 Clutch cylinders - resleeving? Tie rod ends? etc

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 Clutch cylinders - resleeving? Tie rod ends? etc
From: "Coday Family" <coday@localaccess.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 16:32:36 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Coday@Mail.localaccess.com>
Fred wrote:

> Have you thought that maybe the cylinders  need to be sleeved in order
> to get a good fit of the pistons. These are over 40 years old and have to
> have excess wear, honing only takes out more of the cyc. walls, eventualy
> you are going to have to resleeve in order to get back to the correct
> bore size.

Thanks for mentioning that, I am an eternal optimist, did think of it
briefly, but was hoping for the best.  Got the slave off and it's
fine, the braided line just above the slave had given up, accounting
for the brake fluid down there.  Will go ahead and put in the kit
when it comes since the slave is on the work bench.  The bore looked
fine, no wear that I could discern.  Two owners ago in the 80's, a
fellow down in Portland started to rebuild this car.  I think he must
have gone through the motor, I have 75 pounds of oil pressure at
idle, the motor and tranny feel strong.  Front brakes have been
rebuilt.  I think he may have replaced the clutch slave, and I am
praying he replaced the clutch and disc when doing the motor work.

The clutch master also looks ok in the bore, but the seals are
cracked and shrunken.  I may yet have to have these bored and
sleeved, will take them down and have them miked.  What should the
bores be?

Repacked the front bearings, that's quite a job, have to disassemble
the disk brakes and remove the calipers to get to the inners.  They
needed it though.  Also got a chance to look at the tie rod ends and
various steering parts.  The tie rods on either side will rotate
about 20 to 30 degrees.  I don't know front end work, but that seems
like way too much rotation, also the car wanders, I can more or less
herd it with the wheel, so will be ordering tie rod ends for
starters on the steering, bushings etc probably to follow.  I have to
work up to these jobs...

Any tips or suggestions on tackling the front end work?

Thanks to all,

Mike

TR3A TS52320L (back to the daily driver wannabe)