Triumph Technical Reference Database--PROPOSAL

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Triumph Technical Reference Database--PROPOSAL
From: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:43:24 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
First I'd like to thank everyone who responded with suggestions and
information. Especially those who volunteer'd their help--you
definately will be hearing from me if we go through with this!

I reviewed everything carefully and I've tried to take the best of
what I read. Here's my proposal:

I don't think we should go with a "helper" application... Such as
"ACCESS", "LOTUS", etc (I was considering actually writing a little
DELPHI program which could use a DBF based database file to allow
users to "query" the database to find the data they were looking for
such as cross referencing parts, searching by KEYWORDS, etc)

The problem with this is 1) people would have to download and install
a "HELPER" program and configure it to work on their system. 2) poeple
would also have to download the latest database file 3) The program
would be platform specific (Windows 95) -or- program specific if we
went the route of ACCESS, LOTUS, etc.

My suggestion is this: I can develope an interactive web site to
actually house the database and the users would simply use their
browsers to manipulate the database. (This way there is no extra
software, program specific files, or downloading of any kind required.
Plus people with Windows 3.1, Unix, Macs, etc, can all participate
equally). For those of you who are curious I would use a programming
language called "PERL" to develope the "server-side" software.

Anyway it would work something like this-- You go to a designated web
page which would contain links to:

1) Search the database for a technical article (by a several methods)
and display the matching texts.
2) Submit an article (We can automate this to reduce the huge task of
system administration) The user handles submiting the article into the
database which would immediately become available in the database for
searching. We could password protect this to prevent harm from hackers
or we could make the administrator review and approve articles before
posting them.

The database could contain the article itself, the name, email, and
web site of the author, plus any additional information you guys would
think important like parts lists & numbers, etc.

Does this appear feasible to you guys? I don't mind programming
something like this (in fact I actually enjoy it) but if it is not
something that is needed I'd rather invest my efforts into something
that is needed. It just seems to me such a service would be great for
someone like me, who just bought their first triumph and needs access
to this kind of information. And finding it all in one spot would be
very nice.

Inevitably I feel this database should probably reside at the VTR
site, but I don't know if that is possible (I'm not familar with their
web site, internally, nor am I a member). Either way, it could be
"ported" about anywhere. (PERL is an internet standard)

Malcolm--> I don't think this effects the FAQ directly. A FAQ is still
needed to answer the basics. (In fact, I'd put a link on this site to
refer people over to the FAQ) What do you think?

Some people have also put together impressive web pages with technical
data such as Tom Shirley's Spitfire FAQs and Tips at
http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1080/spitgarage.html -- I
just think a large reference database with "interactive searching and
cross reference capability" (along with user submission of articles)
would add more power and more bulk information! As a group we could
accomplish a lot more in terms of posting the volumous data than a
individual.

Well let me know what you guys think (again) and I appreciate your
input one more time.

--Rick