RE: TR6 - Distributor Loose

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR6 - Distributor Loose
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 10:46:39 -0600

On mine the bolt head is hex but the nut at the other end is a square nut.
This keeps it in place when you are tightening it down (by pressing the nut
against the side of the mounting clamp. As a result, you don't have to hold
the nut while turning the bolt making it easier to tighten down (sort of
like to bolt/nut combo on the battery clamps). I can't recall if mine has a
washer but off hand I don't think so. Loctite would work but would need to
be re-applied each time you tweak the timing - this might not be practical.

I think replacing the bolt and nut would be a simple matter if they are
suspect?

On a related note, I recently met an ex-Triumph employee who stated that the
correct orientation of the bolt and nut is with the bolt towards the engine
block. This way the square nut is facing the side of the car (more or less
depending on the timing setup). On my car the bolt is the other way around
and in the 16 years I've owned it I have never removed the bolt. This may be
of interest to the concours folks.

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO  Calgary,Canada ---