Re: Safir & Triumph

To: Bwfox@aol.com
Subject: Re: Safir & Triumph
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 20:12:59 +0200
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry,
the man is the founder/owner of Motorfirma Uno Ranch AB who at
the time was the Swedish importer of Bugatti Automobiles and
later of Triumph Motorcycles. From early in the sixties they
started to import Triumph Automobiles also and did so until in
the aftermath of the Leyland take over Leyland Triumph Sweden AB
was founded in 1970 or so. Mr Uno Ranch [currently 90 years old]
is of course a honorary member of the Triumph Club of Sweden.

The air plane is registered SE-AUR [UR from his initials...] and
was bought directly at the assembly plant by Mr Ranch in March 1946.
Since it was the first plane sold delivery had to be post-
poned until testing was finished in late January of '47. On the
pictures taken in the sixties one can see that on the starboard
engine cowling it had the logo and text: TRIUMPH MOTORCYKLAR
and on the port side cowling it had the logo and text: TRIUMPH
AUTOMOBILER.

Mr Ranch also owns a de Havilland DH 104 Dove, registration SE-EUR
with an eight hour extra long duration tank arrangement. A very
nice flying apparatus indeed...
He learnt to fly in Germany back in 1925 at a mere 18 years of
age, and has got the Swedish Pilots license number 103. If I'm not
mis-remembering things he has been certified to fly some 54 different
types of aircraft over the 70+ years he's been piloting aircraft...

He currently lives in Gothenburg, Sweden.
/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4