Advance-retard??

To: "Bowley, Glenn (GCICT)" <glenn.bowley@gerbercoburn.com>
Subject: Advance-retard??
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 07:33:17 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Netom>
>I'm going to disagree with you on the retard part. Why then if I set my
>timing to 2 ATDC without the vacuum line connected, and then reconnect
>it (I've done this with the timing light on) does my timing jump to 10
>BTDC? Sounds more like an advance than a retard unit.
>BTW: This car does not have the electronic ignition on it, Removed by
>PO.
Ooops, you didn't mention that :-).  Timing specs that you quote (sticker)
are for a stock vehicle with a stock ignition system.  You are right in
that you have a vacuum advance unit.  If the unit has a vacuum advance then
you disconnect and plug the line when you do the dynamic timing.  In either
case though, what I said regarding the advance for general engine ignition
timing is still correct-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire