Warbirds

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Warbirds
From: Bwfox@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 07:04:17 EDT
Fellow Warbird Types:
Those of us fortunate enough to live in north cental MA and members of
local sports car clubs have been invited to tour the Collings Foundation
in Stow, MA.  Mr Collings has two passions: antique/classic cars and
historic aircraft.  The cars are way too numerous to mention and include
all the usual suspects, but it is the aircraft collection that shines
here.  There is a B-17 and B-25 (both flown regularly at air shows),
a T-6 trainer, a huge carrier based torpedo bomber (TBD or TBF?), a
Stearman biplane (PT-?), a WWII Fieschler Stork, a Curtis biplane,P80 jet &
Bleriot monoplane.  With the exception of the B-17 and B-25, all of the
other aircraft live in a huge hanger on his property.  Probably the largest
(in terms of floor space and height-4 stories) privately owned building
I have seen in someones back yard. Oh and BTW, he also has his own runway
on his property. The aircraft were all trucked in, restored on site and
flown out of his back yard.  "Honey, what say we take the B-17 for a spin,
go to the Fitchburg airport for breakfast, maybe?"  Like I do with my TR
on Sat mornings, but with a bit more flair.

Cheers,
Barry W. Fox    65 TR4A  CT51681L
W1HFN