Re: 5-speed production Spitfires..??

To: Cwn74@aol.com
Subject: Re: 5-speed production Spitfires..??
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:41:09 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
>I met a fellow that insists that the last 150 Spitfires off the assembly line
>had 5-speed transmissions.  Perhaps a TR7/8 5-speed unit?
**************************************
I SERIOUSLY doubt this.  Aside from the fact that I've never seed any
documentation of this (parts or manuals)  The Rover five speed has an
entirely different mounting configuration than the marina 4 speed box (or
all previous Spitfire boxes), and as such would require a completely
different bellhousing.  Also, aside from the size issue, the drive shaft
would be different, and all the small changes, and documentation required
to install this transmission wouldn't warrant the cost, especially for so
FEW examples.  This isn't to say it couldn't or hasn't been done, but most
surely, not at the factory.  Sorry, but I feel your friend is misinformed.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire