Maaco

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Mark Milotay <mark.milotay@onthemark.bc.ca>
Subject: Maaco
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 18:48:56 -0400
On the Mark Software & Consulting writes:

>I know that Maaco is not the best place to have your car painted. What >I
>would like to know is that if I take care of all of my rust spots with
>POR-15 and have the car doused by them. Will it buy me a few years of rust
>protection until I can afford to do a 'real paint job?

>Thanks,

>Mark
>Mark Milotay, Principal
>On the Mark Software & Consulting

Mark,

A friend of mine (Leo) had Maaco (or someone like them) shoot his car.
Leo did all of the prep work; removing the trim, masking, etc. and
sweet talked them into painting it first thing in the morning (with
a thoroughly cleaned gun cleaned the night before) and got excelent
results.

Common wisdom says that 90% of the work of a paint job is in the
prep.  A cheap paint job is the result of masking trim instead of
removing it, and not preping the surface first.  If you do this
part yourself the boys at Maaco, who do nothing all day but shoot
paint, can shoot a wonderfull coat of paint.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO