Re. Maaco

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re. Maaco
From: fred griffiths <griffco@cadvision.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 07:12:35 -0700
Hello Listers,
        New to the list, thought I'd add a small response before asking
questions!

RE: Maaco from Mark
>I know that Maaco is not the best place to have your car painted. What I
>would like to know is that if I take care of all of my rust spots with
>POR-15 and have the car doused by them. Will it buy me a few years of
>rust protection until I can afford to do a 'real paint job?

>Thanks, Mark
>Mark Milotay, Principal
>On the Mark Software & Consulting

        My son had a 74 Spitfire done by Maaco in Calgary Canada about 8
years ago, and I still drive it looking quite nice (the car's looks in
case you're wondering!)  True it has rough edges, some pits in the lower
section, and now some very tiny bumps are starting to raise on the boot
lid.  There was overspray on what little trim we left on the vehicle,
including drips on the dash vinyl.  Also disk sanding scratches on the
aluminum windshield topcap and side window glass.  BUT, there is no rust
showing anywhere on the car.  I must say that it lives in all its life,
in a garage, is driven only in a Canadian summer, and very rarely sees
rain and never snow.
        Luckily the guy at Maaco who did the work knew Spitfires and took
some pride in 'doing it right' as he said.  Mind you, he lost the MK IV
badges, so when I finally found new ones, the company coughed up the $54
for the replacements.

Cheers from Fred
driving a red
'74 Mk IV