But, what about batteries?

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: But, what about batteries?
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 01:23:31 -0700
After all the discussion of generators and alternators (now we know they
are essentially the same!)...
... what about that other key part of our beloved LBCs' electrical
systems?

I have been considering an Optima battery available here locally. It's a
lot more expensive ($120) than the typical battery, but the "hype" is
that it is more efficient: both at accepting a charge and keeping it.

It is rated 800 cold cranking amps. Is supposedly truly
"no-maintenance". And claims to never "gas off". It's only available in
a Group 34 size. It is supposedly actually so well sealed it is shipped
with acid in place and fully charged.

I've seen one installed in a TR4 recently. The owner says he's really
happy with it, but has only had it a short time.

Anyone had experience with this battery? Any others I should be
considering? I don't mind paying a little more if it's worth it. In my
experience, it ain't worthwhile to scrimp on batteries. This cash &
carry price seems to beat even the mail order offers I've seen, by the
time you add shipping. Feedback appreciated.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602