re:TR3 skirted thermostat

To: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: re:TR3 skirted thermostat
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 13:38:54 -0400
Message text written by "M. W. Jordan, Jr."
>I had raised the original (recent) question about TR3 overheating and
Jack Brooks of the list responded to me with the skirted thermostat
issue.  Much of our exchange took place off line in private email, but
Jack did offer that there was a company California that had the proper
skirted thermostat available and for sale.  It is designed for an early
Jag. XK' something and costs (according to Jack) $27.  The skirt does in
fact move down to cover the bypass hose opening when the thermostat
opens, thereby reducing the coolant flow through the by pass hose and
channeling all coolant flow through the radiator.

Jack indicated the company could be reached at www.xks.com.

hope this helps.

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
Marietta, GA

<

Hey, thanks for this info.  I hope I am not in need of a new 'stat, but
your conversation had gotten me thinking.  It would appear at first
glance to be fairly easy to retrofit a skirt to a standard 'stat.  I am
not at all sure that it would end up costing LESS than the  $27 price
you mentioned.  The cost of production would be much less, but with
a middle-man or two, the price would double or quadruple.  I guess
that the $27 item might cost less than $7 to produce.  It would be
hard to beat that.  I hope I am wrong about the marketing issues,
but I bet my mark-up estimate is conservative.