My TR4's rear axle seals are shot

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: My TR4's rear axle seals are shot
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 17:46:56 EDT
<<My TR4's rear axle seals are shot>>
My advice...do like I did... take out the split shafts and bring them to
someone who has a lot of fire, a lot of big pressure tools, big hammers and a
lathe to repair the damage of hub removal. In my eagerness to lube the rear
wheel bearings I think I gave one squirt too much and may have blown the seals
or perhaps they were just old but results were that of leaking gear oil at
rear wheel seals and soiled brake liners.
After two weeks time and some complaints by the guy wielding the fire and
hammers I got back two beautifully re-worked hubs (lathed and trued) with new
seals, bearings and lug bolts for $250 (that was about 1984). Seemed high in
price but look, I still have all my fingers!
Good luck.
Carl
'64 TR4