Re: draught tube

To: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Subject: Re: draught tube
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:01:25 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Alan Myers wrote:

> On TR4, the rust in-between the front fender and the footwell wall is
> usually due to the failure of the rubber seal on the outer edge of the
> bulkhead at the rear of the front wheel well, where it meets the outer
> fender. Once there are a few gaps, half of everything thrown up by the
> front tire makes it's way in there & you get something looking like a
> swamp inside. It stays wet constantly & would rust through a battleship.

When I pulled the fender there wasn't too much gunk (dirt) in there, but
there sure was a lot of rust.  I had it coming from all areas- there's not
really one single culprit.  Water from above, road stuff from the
disintegrated splash shield, and the inner rocker had melted away too.

> If you do choose to route that drain hose, you should be able to turn it
> back under the car, through the inner fender, rather than through the
> rocker panel.

That's what I intend to do.  If I get it right I should be able to have it
"suck" the stuff out due to air pressures.

> Does anyone have refernce to '62 color codes? I think my car was
> originally white (in a past life). There is an "L" after the chassis #
> that I think indicates this. (It was "Porsche" orange when I bought it,
> signal red a very short time later and ever since! I'm considering going
> back to white during the current rebuild.)

Check the VTR web-site (www.vtr.org) under the maintenance handbook.  I
know they have scans of some of the paint chips.

I also think Joe Curry has a bunch of modern cross-references for the old
colors.

-Malcolm