Mystery pin/clutch-gearbox?

To: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Mystery pin/clutch-gearbox?
From: Bollen <bollen@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 14:10:25 -0400
Cc: TR8 <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Well, fun day today, took the tranny out of the TR6 (well, on checking
my log its almost 1000 miles since the $858 rebuild-what can you expect
for a buck a mile?) and with the help of my long suffering wife
manoevered it out of the car and onto the garage floor. As usual, the
throwout bearing slid off and caugfht her shin. While kissing the
boo-boo to make it better, I saw a steel pin 3/8" long by about 1/8"
diameter lying by the bellhousing. I have no idea where it came from.
Any ideas ???? I don't recollect such a thing in the clutch anywhere.
Stu
74 TR6  80 TR8