re: Carb Synch

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: re: Carb Synch
From: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 8:24:56 -0500
Chuck Ackerman wrote:

> Help!
> I bought a carb sync instrument for my 70TR6
> How do I get the little float to move

<<snip of description of problem in trying to
get the Uni-Syn to work>>

Stu responds:
<<Chuck, chuck it away and use a piece of hose to listen to the suction.
Been there, done that with synchronisers-total waste of money IMHO>>

I couldn't disagree more! While listening with a hose will
do an exceptional job in the hands of a skilled and
experienced person, a Uni-Syn provides an accurate
measure of actual air flow and can be used by anybody.

(My Corvair 140 has 4 carbs!  Especially when I was
running all 4 as "primaries", a Uni-Syn is a must!)

Now to the problem:

Chuck: it may be that you're using it wrong.... but is much
more likely you got one of the "bad" ones.  There have been some
problems with a large percentage of the new Uni-Syns in the
past couple of years.  Seems the "bleed hole" wasn't
drilled out.  Some more adventurous souls disassembled and
fixed it themselves.  Most sent it back... some 2 or 3 times
before they got a good one.

Best solution:  look around to see if anyone else has one
or has experience in using one.  (Check with the Corvair
guys as well.)    Really, the most important thing
is for the center to be properly adjusted.... but you can be
WAY off and still get some movement.  Don't worry about
"vacuum leaks".... it measures air flow, not vacuum.  The foam
pad on the bottom just needs to be touching the carb face, but
does need to be touching all around.  With some modified carbs,
we've glued thicker pads to the Uni-Syn to get it to clear vent
tubes, etc and give a better seal.  Souldn't be an issue on a Triumph.

Still, my guess is you have a dud.

Good luck!

Bill Elliott
Lake Mills, WI