Regulator troubles

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Regulator troubles
From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:04:32 -0400 (EDT)
Because of an unrelated problem, my TR4A engine was revving pretty high
between shifts (3000-3500 rpm).  I then started noticing that when I
turned the ignition key all the way off, the red light on the dash stayed
on.  Later that afternoon the red light ran all the time while I drove,
and (as it indicated) the generator wasn't charging.  The light stopped
burning while the car was off but I have no charge going to replenish the
battery.

My first thought was that something was wrong with the ignition switch,
but someone suggested the regulator.  The generator itself was rebuilt
about 6000 miles ago, so I can't imagine it's the source of the problem
(and no, the belt's not slipping).

Am I looking at replacing the regulator or is there a fix?  Could the
earlier high revving could have damaged it?

John Middlesworth
1966 TR4A