TR6 EGR valve

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 EGR valve
From: Jochen.Saal@t-online.de (Jochen Saal)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 23:24:07 +0200
Folks,

Can anybody explain the functionality of the E.G.R valve on the late TR6
Carb?
After I suddenly had idle problems I believe I found the problem in this
valve. I
checked the distributor and timing - everything OK. I checked the
manifold for
possible cracks and replaced the gaskets first before I had a closer
look at the EGR.
I removed it from the head and checked it. The vacuum unit works fine,
no leaks.
But the piston in the EGR does not fully close. Now I’m wondering how
the EGR
valves works?

- When should it be open and when closed?
- What happens if I simply close the hole with a plug? (I do not have to
meet any
emission regulation so why not simply remove it?)

Any comments?

TIA

Jochen Saal
74 TR6 Carb