TR4 tranny in TR3

To: vancross@visuallink.com
Subject: TR4 tranny in TR3
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 16:29:43
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bob,

I've got a TR4 tranny in my TR3.  All that is required is to lengthen the
mounting holes in the tranny mount area in the back of the tranny to
account for the extra half inch of length.  A rat tail file will work for
this.  Don't omit this part. My PO did.

BTW - With the TR4 gearbox you do lose the tranny dipstick.  You may want
to consider making a hole in the side of the trans tunnel to access the 1/2
inch plug in the side of the tranny for checking the fluid level.  I don't
know if you can transfer the TR3 top cover with the dipstick.

The fun doesn't end there however.  When I finish rebuilding (to high HP)
my newly acquired TR4 engine, it will most likely include a TR4A flywheel
and TR4-6 clutch components, mated to my existing TR4 gearbox, before being
installed in my TR3.  The original engine will be retired peacifully to the
shed.

Have fun and don't worry about putting a TR4 gearbox in your TR3.  The
syncro first is very nice.

Jack
TS69032L