Re: Interior and rail trim colors -- LONG reply! ;-)

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Interior and rail trim colors -- LONG reply! ;-)
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 11:41:03 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

    Andrew> Conclusion (whew!) -- as one who appreciates
    Andrew> originality and "correct" restorations, we need
    Andrew> not just judging guides, but also those who do
    Andrew> take the time to research originality and make
    Andrew> every ettempt to duplicate it.  When that doesn't
    Andrew> happen, originality (and judging standards)
    Andrew> ultimately become rooted not in what is actually
    Andrew> correct but in what those well-intended parts
    Andrew> suppliers offer in their catalogs. And what
    Andrew> suppliers are most likely to offer is what sells
    Andrew> best and/or is easiest to provide.  For interiors,
    Andrew> that's mostly black and red and perhaps some shade
    Andrew> of tan.  For carpets it's almost always
    Andrew> black. (Paint is another story, as almost any
    Andrew> color can be matched or recreated, but Signal Red
    Andrew> does seem to rule, followed closely by "BRG" and
    Andrew> black.)

This is a major reason, although white cars are a severe PITA
to keep clean (second only to black), and against major
protests from nearly everyone I know that "sports cars should
be red", Sonja will be getting a re-paint in her original
English/Spa White away from the Pimento-esque colour she
sports today.  She'll also be getting a surrey top, although
she didn't leave Coventry with one, because that's how I would
have ordered her if I'd been there then.  A mix of originality
and personality, as I suspect most of our cars are.  That's
part of the fun too...
                                                        -MM