Re: TR6 relative merits: '71 v. '73?

To: msecres@ibm.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 relative merits: '71 v. '73?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 19:29:50 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-26 07:12:52 EDT, msecres@ibm.net writes:

> I've located a very nice '71 now, and aside from the obvious earlier
>  minor styling differences, would anyone care to debate the decision to
>  buy it over a comparable '73?  I'm interested to know, for example,
>  about the rear suspension changes that occurred after 1971 ...

Martin,

A couple of things to think about:

1) the '71 has far fewer pollutions devices than the '73, if that's a concern,

2) the seats in the '71 are MUCH more comfortable than those in the '73, at
least for my little butt they are. As this is a personal thing, you might want
to spend some time in each before you decide. I have a friend with the '73
style seats, and he won't drive his on long trips because the seats are so
uncomfortable, but mine is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. The
seats are just as comfortable as the Recaros I had in another car.

3) to the best of my knowledge, the rear suspension changes consisted soley of
changes to the trailing arm mounting brackets. You can use the later brackets
on the earlier cars with no problems at all, according to sources I have read.
They are available from the major vendors.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74