TR3 Gearbox Leaking

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Gearbox Leaking
From: Warren.Allen@infores.com (Warren Allen)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:55:54 -0500
          My gearbox is - surprise! - leaking, from the joint where the rear
          extension connects to the housing, and badly.  What I'd like from the
          list is advice concerning my plan to replace the gasket.  I'm hoping
          to do it without having to remove the gearbox from the car.  Here's
          the plan:

          1. Remove gearbox cover
          2. Drain the gear oil
          3. Remove driveshaft
          4. Remove 2 nuts holding gearbox to rear mount
          5. Jack up gearbox/engine at rear slightly (for working room)
          6. Remove big nut at rear yoke and yoke
          7. Remove bolts holding rear extension to gearbox housing.
          8. Replace rear extension, using new gasket
          9. Replace oil seal at rear yoke (?) (It's not leaking now, but
should
             this be done anyway?)
          10. Put it all back together

          Questions:

          Can this be done with gearbox in car?
          Does the rear extension separate from the housing easily?  Are there
          any internal components holding them together (other than the rear
          yoke)?
          Does anything fall out of the transmission when the rear extension is
          removed?
          Should I replace the oil seal at the rear yoke during reassembly?
          Any other advice?

          Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

          Warren Allen
          1960 TR3A
          Winston-Salem, NC