Re: TR3 body off & accessability

To: Angelo Graham <a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: TR3 body off & accessability
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 08:09:21 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Angelo Graham wrote:

> Hello listers:
> Just managed to get the TR3 body off the frame and have sent off the frame
> for sandblasting & a bit of welding.  Anyone ever contemplated "turning"
> the 3 body on its back or side to get at parts of the floor & underside for
> ease of welding?  I am considering making a wooden frame/ jig of some
> description to hold the body while I attempt to turn it.  The floors are
> reasonably solid in the car and have the door openings braced.  Am I
> courting disaster here by putting the body in compromising positions (side,
> back) and risking distorting the body beyond repair?
>
> Thanks for any advice on this.  Sure would make welding much easier if you
> could weld "down" on the various bits.
>
> Angelo Graham
> 1959 TR3 A
> Waterloo, Ont. Canada

Angelo, I just used saw horses and 2X4, then I could get at the whole
underside with no problems. Remember when you start twisting and turning,
this little baby is 40 years old and not the best of engineering to begin
with, the less movement the better, and besides what needs to be done
that you can't get to from the top or bottom, you do the bending not the
other way around.