Re: Antifreeze (was Re: TR-3 crank)

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: Antifreeze (was Re: TR-3 crank)
From: Chris Amley <amley001@gold.tc.umn.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 18:27:40 -0500
Cc: sweisman@gis.net, Christopher C Amley <Christopher.C.Amley-1@tc.umn.edu>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-06-19 08:47:25 EDT, sweisman@gis.net writes:
>
> >  I've always assumed (perhaps wrongly
> >  [again?]) that a 50 - 50 mixture of ethylene glycol and water was right.
> >

> FWIW, water is a better coolant than anti-freeze.  However it does bad things
> to your cooling system - rust, corrosion and - if it freezes solid -boom.  A
> mixture of 50/50 is touted by the chemical manufacturers because it 1) ensures
> that the inhibitors etc. in the anti-freeze are there to prevent those
> problems and 2) it sells more of their product.
>
> But 70/30 (water/antifreeze) works ok for me in the Florida summer.  Seems to
> give enough protection. (I also use water-wetter.)   As for winter - if we had
> one in Fl, I would go to 50/50, which is what I used to do in the Northeast US
> and in Germany/Italy years ago.  Cheers.
>
> Art Kelly

Art, Sumner,

My own experience is go very easy on the anti-freeze when the car is in
service, using some mostly to inhibit corrosion.  When I last put in the
50% mix and drove, the stuff just kept burping out the overflow!

Oh, I also use distilled water to avoid mineral buildup.  It has a
slightly exotic air ("Oh no, nothing but the best for my little car.")
but it's really pretty cheap, so you win both ways!

In Minnesota, we have serious winter (as in 168 hours below 0F in 1995)
and I store my car. At that time I either drain the cooling system
completely or install 50% anti-freeze/water.

Cheers,
Chris Amley