TR3B floor restoration

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3B floor restoration
From: JoEllisTR3@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 18:21:44 EDT
I, too, am doing a floor restoration. The floors both sides are in decent
shape and don't warrant complete replacement. The body shop is fitting the
doors and wants to add some support to the underside of the floors at the rear
to provide better "anti-sag" properties to the original design. As you may
know, the frame member by the rocker panels has an L-shaped bracket that
supports the floor (body). This bracket has bent down over the years. The
choices seem to be:

1. bend it back - only to have it sag eventually, causing the doors to "gap"
2. replace it with a thicker bracket - still not enough to prevent the
inevitable body flex with occasional agressive driving (I'm guilty, I'll admit
- but why else own the car?)
3. add a plate of some sort UNDER the floor, running from the rocker panel
side, across to the drive shaft tunnel, to supply more strength and support.
4. similar to #3, but on top of the floor (my absolute last resort).

Has anyone worked with this problem? How did your solution stand the test of
time (and driving)? If you chose #3, how did you attach the plate(s)?

I'd like to beef up both sides and pass the information along to the body guy,
who is trying very hard to keep the original look to the car, but wants very
much to provide a lasting solution. He has done a wonderful job of aligning
fenders, doors and bonnet and boot. Nothing is attached permanently yet, since
the car is just primed. He will remove all again to paint parts individually,
then mount them later. I really don't want to mount anything on top of the
floors - just against my grain!

Thanks for your help!
Joanna Ellis
'62 TR3B TCF36L