Re: TR3 Engine Painting

To: jmccarr@ibm.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 Engine Painting
From: TRIPHSTEVE@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:24:06 EDT
Jack and List-

The engine color controversy is a topic I am somewhat familiar with, having
been to several national shows and seeing engines that were different colors,
but claimed "original."

There is no question that the vast majority were black. Some, notably a guy
whose first name is Shelly (who lives in New York I think, I cannot remember
his last name) is the original owner of a TR3B and swears his engine was
painted red from the factory. He has a substantially original car otherwise,
which would seem to indicate he is correct. His car won the TR3B concours in
Asheville, which would also suggest he was not deducted at VTR for the red
engine.

Bill Piggott notes in his book that he has seen red engines also. Actually,
what he says is short of saying the other colors are original, but only that
he has seen them. He writes:

"controversy surrounds the colour in which the engines were painted. The great
majority were finished in black, and a sidescreen car engine painted black
could not, I think, be criticised. However, I have seen examples purporting to
be original painted in dark blue, in a kind of sea-green metalic finish, and
in red...."

Later on page 25 of his book, Piggott points out that a car with a photo of a
red engine is incorrect and that it should have been painted black.

If in doubt and you are interested in concours, I would paint it black.

I do not have my TRA Guideline book close, but I seem to remember that it
called for black as well.

Hope this helps.

Steve Thornton
Bowling Green, KY