Re: Wire wheel spokes & removing chrome

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, Lew McKillop <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: Wire wheel spokes & removing chrome
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 19:47:26 -0700
Cc: Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Brad Kahler wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I recently aquired a used set of wire wheels (thanks Lew) for my
> spitfire.  Upon closer inspection one of the wheels has 3 broken
> spokes.  Would any of you know of a source for replacement spokes for
> a thirteen inch wire wheel?

Brad, that sounds like false advertising to me.  Make Lew refund your
money immediately. (I'll be in touch shortly, Lew)

> In order to paint these wheels is it necessary to remove all the
> chrome through sandblasting?  If all of the rust is removed would
> that be sufficient before painting?

If you remove just the rust and leave the chrome where it is intact, you
do two things.  1. Make the surface uneven and reduce the looks of the
painted spokes. and 2. Since Paint will not adhere as well to the chrome
as to properly prepared bare metal, you will likely in time have to do
it over again anyway.  So My recommendation is to completely remove all
the chrome.  Or you could have the spokes rechromes and paint the rim.
THis will look good (IMHO) and you let the chrome shop take care of the
tedious work of prepping the spokes.  Your call!

Regards,
Joe Curry

P.S. One final option, You could sell me the wheels (at a reduced rate,
of course)!

--

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer