Re: Re. Proper oil for O/D gearbox.

To: "fred thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Re. Proper oil for O/D gearbox.
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 21:50:32 +0100
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Fred thomas wrote.....

> Where did you ever find a 20/50 non-detergent oil, the only
>non-detergent I have seen is 30, never multilple viscosity, please let me
>know I would to buy some.

Sorry, Fred, I was being too economical with terminology. What I really
meant to say was that I bought the most basic spec. oil I could find. Having
heard of problems with, for example, Rover V8 engines and Castrol GTX, I
bought bog-standard 20/50 multigrade from Rix Petroleum in York.

This is a straightforward oil with no added slippery substances, no
outrageous claims, etc., etc. You may have noticed that 20/50 is hard to get
hold of anyway.

According to the container, the oil is specified....

API SF/CC Mil-L-46152B
MIL-L-2104B
CCMC G2 & D1

Now, if someone who knows all about oil recognises this stuff as a detergent
oil, I stand to be corrected and will don flameproof underwaer immediately.

My sincere apologies if I have mislead anyone.

David Hill