Re: gold sport coil

To: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Subject: Re: gold sport coil
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 20:22:39 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tim Gaines wrote:

> A friend just offered to sell me a new gold sport coil for
> my 1980 Spit 1500 with electronic ignition.  The label on
> the coil says, "Use on contact breaker ignition without
> ballast resistor."  Is there no way to use this coil on
> my car?

  You might need a ballast resistor.

  The problem is that the coil primary draws too much current,
which can burn out the ignition module in your spit.

  The catch-22 is that with a ballast resistor you might not
get any better spark.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/