Carbs

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Carbs
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:51:04 -0400
Well, I'm back from vacation.  Grand Canyon, (Where did they put all the
dirt they took out?)  Hoover Dam,  (I expected to see vacuum cleaners)  and
Las Vegas (Actually called "Lost Wages".)   Now I'm ready to get back to
work on the TR-3.

This morning I replaced the cracked rear wheel cylinder, put in new brake
springs, and bled the brakes and clutch.  The new stainless steel flexible
hoses look very businesslike.  That's done.

Now, I'm starting on the carbs.  I took out the jets and polished them on a
buffing wheel and put them back in, but didn't replace the washers.  So of
course, the bottoms are a little wet with gas, which was not a problem
before.  I took the tops off, cleaned the pistons and cylinders, and put
new oil in.  The needles look good, and are installed correctly.

The car now starts better than before when the engine is cold (the jets
were stuck)  but it still doesn't start as quickly as it should.  Starts
fine when hot.  I would like to put off a complete carb rebuild until next
winter when I have more time -- the car hasn't even been on the road yet
this year and I don't want to tie it up any longer.

Question for you carb gurus:  Rear piston falls slower when lifted than
front piston, and the "klunk" is softer.  What's the problem?  Which one is
correct?

Sumner Weisman
62 TR-3B