Re: spit problems

To: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: spit problems
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 06:17:32 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Netg>
   <  snip  >
>       that the push rod for # 4 intake was off the rocker arm. I then re
>       set the push rod and observed the engine on restart it ran briefly
>       with some very odd scraping sounds then died. The same push rod was
>       off the rocker again. I replaced it in position and had the owner
>       crank the engine. while pressing down on the rocker. I felt a
>       vibration, Kind of like something scraping across a rough surface.
>       Pressing on the other rocker arms I didn't notice the same feel.
    <  snip  >
********************************
Yep, unfortunately sounds like a trashed cam and lifter.  It should have
been very apparent during the break in period as a loud ticking/tapping
sound.  I'm assuming that whoever reassembled it, broke it in properly?
That is after the rebuild, and at first light off, without too much undue
cranking, ran it up to 2000-3000 rpm for a good twenty minutes or more.  If
you hear any unusual noises during this period, chances are you have a
problem and need to shut it down and find out what it is.  If you don't
follow this procedure, ESPECIALLY with a new cam and lifters, then the cam
lobes/lifter bottoms (which depend on oil thrown off the crank and rods for
lubrication) may not get sufficient oil during this CRITICAL
bedding/breaking in  period and will probably fail sometime afterwards-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire