Re: On Paint

To: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: On Paint
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:29:26 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Gregory Petrolati wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Jay Laifman wrote:
>
> > years.  If it is not cracked, does it really all need to be stripped?  Or,
> > can it serve as a base coat?
>
>         Yo, Jay!
>
>         Lacquer can be used as an undercoat. Ya just can't do the reverse.
>
>         Still, I wonder why? (This is Petrolati talking, not some expert)
>         The new catalyzed enamels are more forgiving (chipwise) than lacquer
>         so why put some thing more durable on something less so. I mean, won't
>         the lacquer which is more prone to chip take out the enamel
>         overlaying when it does?
>
>         Greg Petrolati
>
> gpetrola@prairienet.org                         1962 TR4 (CT4852L)
>         "That's not a leak... My car is just marking its territory!"
> Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois

Lacquer never stops strecthing, so that is why it cracks, it is also very
brittle, so thats why its so easy to chip, me I would never paint over
lacquer on a car I was planning on keeping. Lacquer's biggest claim to
fame is it was used by G.M.for of its cars for over 60 years, guess what
who owned G.M. "Dupont"