RE: Spitfire Fuel Line

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Spitfire Fuel Line
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 08:47:13 -0700
>A close inspection this weekend revealed the vent tube near the filler neck
>that points toward the passenger side of the car. The fuel connection points
>toward the drivers side. The only venting equipment for the car is one long
>hose that ran to the front of the car to the carbon canister. The material
>the vent line is made of is the same as the raw fuel line that leaves the
>top
>of the tank and joins the steel line near the rear axle. There is no
>evidence
>of a catch tank in the trunk compartment
*************************************
Yep, that what I should have stated, after thinking about it later.  It was
on the filler cap itself not on the tank (remembering how difficult the cap
was to remove because of that fitting) and using the plastic type of line
as described.  I seem to recall that on some of the earlier cars, they
lowered a portion of the filler neck (welded to the tank) into the tank
creating a dead space "non filling" area between the lower portion of the
neck and the top of the tank to provide for expansion of vapors (but
reducing overall tank capacity).  This in lew of the vapor recovery tanks
in the later cars rear wing area

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire