RE: stainless steel

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: stainless steel
From: "Matthews, M D (Matt)" <matthmd@texaco.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:02:15 -0500
This was underwater where oxygen is less available than where we
generally keep our cars. I remember buying the most corrosive resistant
stainless and after overnight in a shallow salt water puddle, where it
was partly exposed to air and the rolling motion of the ship I was on,
it developed a coating of rust overnight.

Stainless is good stuff for what is meant for but it is not a cure for
oxidation. It just reacts more slowly.