What's a quill shaft?

To: "Chad Stretz" <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Subject: What's a quill shaft?
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 02:09:14 +0100
Cc: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

-----Original Message-----
From: Chad Stretz <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
To: David Hill <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date: 03 June 1998 04:09
Subject: Re: ReRe: Duff Diff?

>Okay, somebody  help me out here... What is a quill shaft?
>
>Chad Stretz
>

>David Hill wrote:
>
>> Peter Hore wrote....
>>
>> >Hi Dave
>> >
>> >Yes, in my experience the quill shaft splines (all 6 ? of them)  wear
>> >quicker than the diff does.
>> >
>> >But its also very easy to pull the back cover off the diff and check on
the
>> >crownwheel & pinion etc.
>>
>> Thanks, Peter,
>>
>> The play in the diff. nose flange is not rotational. If I seize the
flange, I can pull it outwards-away from the body of the diff.-by about
1/8".
>> Beacuse there is no slop in the splines, this suggests some float in the
quill shaft bearing, or some unknown problem at the front end of the diff.

>> Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>> Dave Hill

Hi, Chad,

Your average, bog standard (you'd say stock, I think) diff. has a front
flange attached directly to the pinion shaft.

On the Triumphs, the pinion shaft has a male, splined connector which fits
into the end of an extension shaft which passes through the diff nose
extension. The front flange fits on the end of this extension shaft, which
has a carrier bearing at its leading end, inside the diff nose extension.

In the above, read quill shaft for extension shaft and all should become
clear.

Cheers,

Dave Hill