RE: TR3 peg and cam steering shim

To: dwillner@icontech.com
Subject: RE: TR3 peg and cam steering shim
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 08:02:07
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Looking through the Haynes manual it suggests a way to adjust the cam and
>peg steering by removing or adding shims behind the cover plate. Should I
>start by removing an existing shim, or adding a .0025 and gradually
>increasing it? Is there an easy way, or a logical process to follow here?
>What is end float and will that take care of the play in the steering or is
>this a totaly unrelated adjustment to the play in the wheel?

Dave,

Before you go after the end float, take your grill off, you don't need to
disconnect the directional lights, all you need is enough room to get to
the top of the steering box.  Loosen the peg depth lock nut and rotate the
screw in and check for a slight resistance on the steering wheel as it
passes through dead center (front wheels off the ground).  This may
allieviate your situation, without the pain of adjusting the end float.

This helped me a bit, but there is play within my steering box, as well as
in my idler lever.  I've heard that rebuilding the steering box is not too
bad.  I'll let you know next spring.  It's on my calendar for this winter.

Jack
TS69032L