buying a TR6

To: PDelage@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: buying a TR6
From: kehrlich@dyax.com (Keith S. Ehrlich)
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 13:28:40 -0400
I mentioned the 6 that is for sale for $15,500 with 39k. So today I
found one,
> (on the net somewhere) a '74 with 98k. They were asking $8,750.
> Now I'm wondering ....... is it smart to get one that is in more "original"
> condition than one that has been restored. Is there much difference between
> the 74 and 76?

I could ( and did) buy a good amateur restored ( "10 footer") and
seviceable TR6 for $7,500, which may have been a touch high priced in
retrospect, but I fell in love and it had some extras like hard top ( i
never use it) , excessive stereo system ( so what, I now would rather
just listen to the exhaust growl and purr), Weber carbs ( if I only knew
then what I know now :-0)and all of the body and interior detail work
was done, and I like and can ( sort of ) learn and do the mechanicals. I
figure I can drive it regularly during the season, keep it running and
looking good for under $1000 per year _maximum average_  which accounts
for the occasional engine, clutch or tranny rebuild ( much less if I let
some things slide and not treat it to some goodies like custom exhaust
systems, etc.) and it will always be worth around  $7,500 +/- . What I
have no fantasies about is recovering my "investment" over the base cost
of the car.  I think that if you get into the above $10,000 category for
a TR6, especially in the $15K range and you got a normal deal, that car
will only hold its price if you rarely or never drive it and keep it
meticulously ( and the higher the price, the less you will likely want
to drive it). Otherwise, it will quickly drop in value into that $6-10K
range( for instance, what does each stone chip in the lower front apron
cost you in value? Worn instrument knob graphics, dirt in the sills?
Scratched plastic rear windows?) Some folks live for those beautiful and
original cars ( "Shiners") and its important to the breed that we have
those among us who preserve them. Others, like to drive them a lot and
fix them ( "Wrenches"). There is a guy in Connecticut Triumphs who both
wins shows and drives-he's on his third restoration of the same now
75,000 mile vehicle-very impressive . I am trying to stay somewhere in
the middle ground because I believe there will always be a nicer looking
car than any one I can afford and I don't have time, money or talent for
a ground-up restoration of a field car. Either way is respectable in its
own right, but you really have to decide what you want to do. ( thats
why some end up with two cars-a daily driver and a looker. Of couse some
others end up with several non-running cars, but that's another dark
side of the story).

Based on my limited experience, however, I am of the humble opinion you
can get a mighty nice TR6 in the $6-10K range, drive it regularly, and
keep it running and looking good for less than $1K per year, some years
more, some less. And it will likely resell in about the price range you
bought it for. Just get a good one-take your time, perhaps buy one from
a club member-or you can just foolishly fall in love like I did and go
for one that turns you on at first sight, but beware of the consequences
of love at first sight.

As for original versus restored, there are a lot of folks who think that
a low mileage original could give you trouble because it hasn't been
driven enough to keep seals, etc fresh and servicable, whereas a
reuglarly used car well restored has the bugs out and is fresh. If you
are only in it for "investment" the difference between restored and all
original may matter.

The model year does not seem to matter in value, unless you have one of
the first or one of the last in absolutely perfect condition. I think I
read recently that the guy who owns the very last TR6 ever made, which
has less than 1,000 miles on it is _asking_ around $40K.   I wonder if
he really wants to sell it. I saw a local classic car operation offering
a late model TR6 original with something less than 5k miles on it last
year for around $18,000. So upper end and appreciation for these is not
really great.  All of the post 73's are pretty much the same IMHO(
post-smog, post-bumper guards) and the pre 74's are pretty much the same
( early-smog, pre-bumber overriders). If I could pick a year for a
looker, I'd go with a '72-'73 because it had the most advanced detail
but not yet heavy smog or bumber overriders. I kind of like the '69
originals because they are rare and  the minimalist detailing stands
out, though I hear that the mechanicals are a bit more primitive than
later years.  However, those overriders are a good idea for a daily
driver, as the flimsy chrome bumpers can't handle much bumping and
bruising, especially the Taiwan aftermarket bumpers. '74 was the largest
production year so you may find a lot of those around.

Good luck and happy hunting-the quest can be as much fun as the final
deal but make sure you do actually get to the purchase stage.

BTW, go to the Vintage Triumph Register website vtr.org and check out
the triumph buyers guide-excellent tips and pricing guidelines.

Keith Ehrlich
74 TR6
Concord, MA