TR6 Halfshaft Failure

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Halfshaft Failure
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 23:55:47 -0500
Are the TR6 Halfshafts prone to failure? I am in the middle of replacing
the U-joints in both half shafts. The right side looked fine and
original whereas the left side looked like someone had been in there
before.

Of concern were the splined shafts. The female end appears to have had
some core shift in manufacturing. One side is slightly dished and has a
rough surface. The other side is smoothly machined. I noticed that once
the shaft was cleaned up, their was noticeable play in the splines. That
is, when engaged, there was some noticeable back and forth play to the
spline's engagement. It can't be seen but it can certainly be felt.
Also, you could see that the male counterpart had slightly polished
vanes up towards the yoke where there was sufficient play to allow the
splines of the female member to touch.

I am wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. The
parts are probably 20 years old and, apparently, have survived but I'm
not sure if this is a problem waiting to happen. The engagement was
smooth enough and I'm not sure if there is any binding when under load.

Any advice appreciated.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '75TR6

BTW: Thanks for the earlier responses on correcting the ride height. I
appreciate the posts and particular thank Roger Bolick for his research
efforts. The U-joints have consumed three evenings, tho, and its time to
get this thing on the road for a weekend run! Next project: Coil
Spacers.