Locking and security in an LBC?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Locking and security in an LBC?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 06:48:48 -0700
>JMO - BTW, I don't think all this "security" is really necessary.  One really
>doesn't need much work to a) "break into" one of these cars or 2) "hot wire"
>and start them.
**************************************
Have to agree there.  On later Spitfires (70-76), with the ignition key
down on the old TR4/6 type steering shaft, to start one without the key all
one has to do is reach down, grab the rubber/plastic boot that holds the
ignition switch on and pull it off (complete with switch).  Then, with a
screwdriver, you can turn the switch just as if you had a key.  And does
any body without a hard top feel really secure when you lock your car?  I
don't even bother.  I mean, if someone really wants anything, a utility
knife will allow easy access.  Insurance won't cover items inside the car
if it isn't locked, but they won't cover the top if it is.  At about $150
plus labor (if you have it done) for a new top, I just don't keep anything
of that value inside the car - and I try not to park, it when I have to, in
an unsecured area-(besides, I never  put the top up anyway [OK, OK three,
four times maybe, but I got caught in the rain]:-})

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire