Re: BMIHT Heritage Certificates

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: BMIHT Heritage Certificates
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 16:43:08 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 26 May 1998, jonmac wrote:

> Hi, Guys
> At the risk of being a pain in the proverbial

        No prob John... Some unscrupulous types do try to pass their cars
        off as completely original... I'm sure you've got the same kind of
        people over there. Nobody likes to admit thet they've been taken,
        and it's easier to blame the bearer of bad news that accept that they
        "screwed up". This tends to be more so among theose who are buying
        a ride with an eye towards speculation than the enthusiast.

        To borrow from the latin, "Caveat Emptor... Let the buyer beware".
        For any of our cars to survive from manufacture to today, completely
        intact is indeed miraculous. I bought my `62 TR4 [CT4852L] and later
        discovered that someone previosly swapped a TR3 tranny for the
        original unit. I also believe the carbs and manifold were not
        original... Nor was the head. On my watch, the body tub was
        exchanged for one from a TR4A that spent more time away from the

        "Rust Belt" than my illinois native.

        For many enthusiasts, it's fine just to have a car that moves...
        to hell with originality (I can just hear the the napalm warming)
        I've got a terrific TR4... I drive it all the time. I think
        that's what the good people that designed it had in mind. Who cares
        if it's a mutt (mongrel).

> hybrid. Of course, in her view she was right, BMIHT was wrong and what she
> wanted to know was WHY we couldn't sort it all out for her.
> John Macartney

        What do you want to bet she tries to pass it off as original when
        she sells it?

        I don't think there are any virgins in the old car hobby

        Greg (looking for his Nomex jammies) Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois