West Coast BCW Review

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: West Coast BCW Review
From: "David J. Stephenson" <daves96@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 08:00:06 -0700
>From my perspective BCW was a bust in both Los Angeles and San
Francisco. My '74 1/2 TR-6 is a daily driver. I drive approximately
110/miles per day up the 405 to the 605 to the 105 to La Cienega,
Washington Blvd and back. You get the picture. Last week in all of my
mad commuting I saw just one TR in LA, and that was a yellow Spitfire
going down University in Irvine. On Saturday, my son and I drove the
TR-6 up the 101 to San Francisco. In the little town of Paso Robles we
ran across a 50's greasy custom car and hot rod show. The place was
wall-to-wall chopped and channeled '48 Mercurys and lowridder Grand
Prixes. Amidst all these weekend Rockabillies and Home Boys we spotted
one BRG TR-6. We bonded and compared fun times and past expenditures.
Then the "embattled Brits" made a roaring "once more into the breach"
exit from town, he to the south and we to the north on the 101. The only
other LBC in Paso Robles was a 1960 Morris convertible sitting in
partial display next to some major Detroit iron. San Francisco was
little better in terms of sightings of LBCs, but a lot more fun. While
my son slept in the hotel I took the top down early Sunday and cruised
along the empty avenues and streets. On Van Ness I spotted a chocolate
TR-6 with hard top and speed-up to catch him. Turning left on a yellow
light to Lombard I passed him with a down shift. We then motored quickly
abreast up the empty street to the Presideo. Stopping at a light the
other driver smiled and called to me, "Nice car." He then went across
the fog enshrouded Golden Gate Bridge and I turned south on the 1. Great
fun. SF is definately TR weather. Those cool, moist mornings our cars so
enjoy seem to last all day! Next time there's a BCW, let's get the lead
or metal out. Otherwise we will be percieved as extinct rather than just
endangered.Best, Dave Stephenson