Stromberg Temperature Compensator

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Stromberg Temperature Compensator
From: "Lou O." <setter@net.bluemoon.net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 08:02:15 -0400
I'm in the process of rebuilding the carbs on my '75 TR6.  During the
course of rebuilding and cleaning carb #1, I disassembled the temperature
compensator, completely.  Right after that, I read the "Do not attempt any
further disassembly..." warning in the Haynes carburetor manual.  Elsewhere
in the manual, the reader is cautioned that the compensator "must not be
adjusted in service."

Chalk one up to my inexperience, and perhaps, stupidity.  I tried to
replace everything the way it was as I found it.  However, I'm not sure I
properly reset the tension in the bimetallic blade that controls air bleed.

Has anyone on the list been here before?  I haven't started on the second
carb, yet.  Would it be acceptable to try to match the two settings as
closely as possible?  How critical is this particular adjustment?  What
symptoms of an improper setting would I expect to see in service?

New compensators are available, but are pricey.  I'd like to stay with the
original, if possible, and would greatly appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,
Lou Omel