Re: hard start

To: "fred thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: hard start
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 17:22:55 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Fred!

How did you know I was doing yard work?  You must have ESP.  Took down 5
trees yesterday.  Today I tried to finish the brake job.  Found a pinhole
leak in the right rear wheel cylinder.  Have to order a new one ASAP.

Fred, you were absolutely right when you suggested that I look to see that
the jets come all the way down when I pull out the choke all the way.  A
couple of other people suggested this as well.  That's what it was!  The
jets were stuck and wouldn't come down. It's been that way the entire time
I owned the car.  I disconnected the choke cable and pulled them down, and
readjusted the choke cable.  Per the Bentley manual, I put a little
petroleum jelly on the shafts.  The car starts MUCH better now.  My
starting motor thanks you.  My battery thanks you.  And I thank you, and Ed
Woods, and Don Marshall, and others.  The jets now come down about 1/4 inch
with the choke all the way out.  They go back in at the half-way-out choke
setting.

One additional problem.  The front carb is perfect.  In the rear one, the
jet gets hung up at the half-way position of the choke, and won't easily go
the rest of the way back up into the nut.  I can push it all the way up,
and I can feel a roughness that seems to hang it up.  I'm going to replace
the springs, but I don't think that's going to solve the problem.   Keep in
mind that I am weak in the carb area, and have never rebuilt these.  I did
rebuild a Chevy carb, but that doesn't count.  What do you suggest I do to
solve the problem?  If I do nothing, the rear two cylinders are going to
run a bit too rich.

Sumner