Re: Spin On Oil Filter for spits

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, spitlist@gte.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spin On Oil Filter for spits
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 00:52:29 GMT
Andy writes...

>Tom, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't it only the air pump
>that prevents the earlier filters (fatter) from fitting the later cars?
>
>--Andy

Hi Andy!

Just the air pump, AFAIK.  I've got the Rover/Unipart listing here
indicating that filter number GFE121 is used for Spits from '62 to
'74.  Filter number GFE119 is for cars 1975 to 1980.

While we're on the topic of oil filters, does anyone know why the pump
itself was changed between 1974 and 1975?  The description I read in
the parts catalogs is  "curved arm vrs straight arm".  Does anyone
know if they're interchangeable?  Could this be related to the smaller
filter size?

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits